Tim Samples is an Assistant Professor of Legal Studies at the Terry College of Business. His research focuses on legal issues affecting international investment, particularly in the areas of sovereign finance and energy. Samples received a 2017-18 Core Fulbright grant to conduct research and teach in Argentina, where he taught courses on sovereign debt at the Facultad de Derecho (School of Law) at the Universidad de Buenos Aires.
Samples has been quoted by media outlets such as the Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, Barron's, Bloomberg, Los Angeles Times, and BBC Mundo, and has also appeared on CNN en Español, BBC World Service, and National Public Radio.
He is fluent in Spanish and proficient in Portuguese.
JD, Law, University of Texas, 2010
MA, Latin American Studies, University of Texas, 2010
BA, International Affairs, University of Georgia, 2004
- Sovereign Debt
- Latin America
- Energy Reform in Mexico
- Investor-State Relations
- Tim R Samples. Winning and Losing in Investor-State Dispute Settlement. American Business Law Journal, 56 (forthcoming 2019).
- Stephen Kim Park and Tim R Samples. 2017. Tribunalizing Sovereign Debt: Argentina's Experience with Investor-State Dispute Settlement.Vanderbilt Journal Of Transnational Law, 50(4): 1033-1063.
- Stephen Kim Park and Tim R Samples. 2017. Puerto Rico's Debt Dilemma and Pathways Towards Sovereign Solvency. American Business Law Journal, 54(1): 9-60.
- Juan José Cruces and Tim R Samples. 2016. Settling Sovereign Debt's "Trial of the Century". Emory International Law Review, 31(1):5-47.
- James M. Carson, Robert E. Hoyt, Tim R Samples. 2017. Dead or Alive? The Law, Policy, and Market Effects of Legislation on Unclaimed Life Insurance Benefits. Notre Dame Journal Of Law, Ethics & Public Policy, 31(1): 1-28.
- Stephen Kim Park and Tim R Samples. 2016. Towards Sovereign Equity. Stanford Journal Of Law, Business & Finance, 21(2): 240-285.
- Tim R Samples. 2016. A New Era for Energy in Mexico? The 2013-14 Energy Reform. Texas International Law Journal, 50(4): 603-643.
- Tim R Samples. 2014. Rogue Trends in Sovereign Debt: Argentina, Vulture Funds, and Pari Passu Under New York Law. Northwestern Journal Of International Law & Business, 35(1): 49-86.
- Guillermo Carey, Tim R Samples, Paulina Silva. 2014. Franchise Law in Chile: Current Issues and Future Outlook. Law And Business Review Of The Americas, 20(1): 107-118.
- Tim R Samples and Jose Luis Vittor. 2013. The Past, Present, and Future of Energy in Mexico: Prospects for Reform Under the Peña Nieto Administration. Houston Journal Of International Law, 35(3):697-734.
- Tim R Samples and Jose Luis Vittor. 2012. Energy Reform and the Future of Mexico's Oil Industry: The Pemex Bidding Rounds and Integrated Service Contracts. Texas Journal Of Oil, Gas & Energy Law, 7(2): 215-240.
Awards, Honors and Recognitions
Junior Scholar Award, Southeastern Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2018
Runner-up, Holmes-Cardozo Award for Best Submitted Conference Paper, Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2018
Outstanding Teacher Recognition, Student Government Association, 2018
Core Fulbright U.S. Scholar (Teaching/Research Grant), Council on the Exchange of Scholars, 2017
Teacher of the Week, UGA Center for Teaching and Learning, 2017
Holmes-Cardozo Award for Best Submitted Conference Paper, Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2016
Outstanding Teacher, Terry College of Business, 2016
Ralph J. Bunche Award for Best Paper in International Business Law, Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2015
Lilly Teaching Fellow, UGA Center for Teaching and Learning, 2015
Teaching Academy Fellow, UGA Center for Teaching and Learning, 2014